The Global Health Division (GHD) is comprised of a passionate group of physical therapists who have worked in or are interested in working in resource-poor settings globally. We advocate for sustainable collaboration that elevates the profession of physiotherapy worldwide.
The vision of the GHD is to become a strong advocate group for the role of physiotherapists in the area of global health. The GHD strives to become a reliable and valuable resource for its members, through providing access to research, policies, experiences of other members, and opportunities.The GHD aims to foster an understanding of how socioeconomic determinants of health underpin health inequities and how global work comprises responsible strategies to achieve health equity. The GHD strives to support its members to get involved in ethical, collaborative, sustainable and effective global health work. The GHD endeavours to promote the wellbeing of Indigenous Peoples through advocating for changes within the physiotherapy profession in the spirit of reconciliation.
The mission of the Global Health Division (GHD) is to advocate for the unique role that physiotherapists have in global health and to encourage Canadian physiotherapists to engage in ethical global health work.
- To provide a forum for members of the CPA who are interested in all aspects of global health through the provision of timely and useful information on the GHD's website.
- To acquire and make available information and educational materials as related to physical therapy in the field of global health.
- To encourage the development and publication of research in the field of global health in Canada and elsewhere.
- To provide an information database regarding global health volunteer opportunities.
- To provide networking/collaboration opportunities for members.
- To provide information regarding courses and workshop linked to global health and physical therapy.
- To provide an opportunity for information and experience exchange annually among physical therapists at the CPA Congress.
- Join us for our online 2019 GHD Members Meeting on Sunday, December 8 at 8:00 PM - 10:00 PM EST by clicking here.
- Our very own Amanda Fortin, GHD Indigenous Health Sub-Committee Representative, had been the Guest Editor in the Sept-Oct 2019 issue of Physiotherapy Practice magazine!
- Check out Footsteps to Freedom - Tales of Therapy in Rural India by GHD's own Hilary Crowley. All proceeds go to Samuha.
- Participate in the GHD's 2019 Member Survey to influence the Division's future direction and to be eligible for a FREE 1-year GHD membership
- Take a listen to Dr. Shaun Cleaver's (Past GHD Chair) interview on Social Policy for People with Disabilities in Zambia
- This year's (2018) Global Health Programming Details for the annual CPA Congress during
- Take a look at the 2018-2020 Goals for the Indigenous Health Sub-Committee
- Read the GHD's latest blog posts
- The GHD is the official sponsor of the Global Physio Podcast which is hosted by GHD member Krysta Wark
- Advocating for global health oppportunities for physiotherapists. To learn more, listen to this episode of the Ignite Physio podcast where Past Chair Jennifer Allen was interviewed about getting PTs involved in global health and her own experiences abroad
- Ongoing website development in order to provide information, resources and communicate global health opportunities for physical therapists
- Provide leadership to the CPA regarding global trends and emerging issues related to health, disability and rehabilitation
- Provide logistical support regarding global health events at the annual CPA Congress
- Participate in awarding the recipient of the annual CPA Global Health Award at CPA Congress
Become a Member
To become a member of the Global Health Division (GHD) and gain full access to all of the GHD resources, you need to be a member of the Canadian Physiotherapy Association (CPA). In addition to paying your CPA membership fee, you must register as a member of the GHD for a cost of $35 per year.
For individuals who are not CPA members, e.g. physiotherapists from other countries, you have the option of becoming an Affiliate Member of the CPA and then you will be eligible to become a GHD member.
Canadian physiotherapy students have access to complimentary registration with the GHD.
To register as a member of the GHD, please send an e-mail to email@example.com.