The Women’s Health Division (WHD) is one of the special interest groups within the Canadian Physiotherapy Association (CPA) and is committed to gathering and providing information on women’s health to physiotherapists who practice in any area. This may include, but is not limited to, bone health, domestic violence, HIV and AIDS, pelvic floor dysfunction related to continence issues or sexual function, lymphedema, or cardiovascular disease issues that are particularly relevant to women.
The number of physiotherapists with an interest in women’s health is growing yearly, both in the public and private sectors. Consequently, women’s health practitioners are challenged to meet the needs and requirements of diverse client problems related to physical function.
The WHD is committed specifically to assisting physiotherapist members through the promotion of education and research into women’s health issues in physiotherapy, the dissemination of such information, and advocacy for the care of women by physiotherapists.
The WHD acts as a forum for discussion and a resource on topics relevant to physiotherapy practice in the area of women’s health.
To provide leadership and direction to members of the Canadian Physiotherapy Association for the advancement of physical therapy practice in women’s health by fostering excellence in practice, education, and research for the benefit of Canadians.
We are a dynamic organization, national in scope, that effectively facilitates communication, education and service delivery for physiotherapy practitioners on topics specific to women’s health.
Value Statement (Credo)
The Women’s Health Division is committed to act with integrity, to honour the rights and dignity of all individuals, to recognize their responsibility to society, and to pursue a quest for excellence in professional activities by:
- Recognizing and uniting CPA members aho are interested in all aspects of women’s health
- Openly sharing knowledge and information with our partners in all areas of physiotherapy practice
- Maintaining high standards of the delivery of physiotherapy practice in women’s health
Join the WHD
Members of the Canadian Physiotherapy Association are eligible to join the Women’s Health Division (WHD) for only $35 per year. You can join at any time in the year, and, upon joining, you will receive access to current resources and all past issues of our newsletter. The WHD offers a variety of resources for both researchers and clinicians:
- Read our quarterly newsletter that includes information in different areas of women’s health practice as well as related articles and book reviews
- Network with other physiotherapists who are interested in women’s health
- Access the members-only part of the WHD website, which includes
- Educational resources for physiotherapists and for dissemination to clients
- Information on upcoming courses in all areas of women’s health
- Up-to-date WHD news
- Job postings
- Save on WHD-sponsored events and continuing education courses whenever possible
- Apply for awards only available to WHD members