We're stronger when we work together.
The Canadian Physiotherapy Association (CPA) is diligent in its efforts to help physiotherapists make real and lasting contributions to the health of Canadians.
With the change in the landscape in 2020, our advocacy efforts have been redirected to ensure we're addressing the immediate needs of the physiotherapy profession in response to COVID-19. Please visit the COVID-19 Hub for more information on our latest advocacy efforts.
- The CPA is engaging with the federal government before the fall 2020 session of parliament begins in September to advocate for new investments in community and home-based care, student loan forgiveness for physiotherapists working in rural and remote communities, and the infrastructure needed for all Canadians to access virtual care.
- A letter was sent to the Finance Minister, The Honourable Chrystia Freeland, which outlines the CPA's priorities for the next federal budget and emphasizes the financial supports our members still need to see action on in order to ensure that they are included in the government's COVID-19 response package.
- The CPA also submitted a pre-budget brief to the House of Commons Standing Committee on Finance as they begin engaging with stakeholders on the development of the 2021 federal budget. This submission proposes recommendations on investments the federal government should make to meet the needs of Canada's aging population and improve nationwide access physiotherapy.
- The CPA is also leading advocacy with the Extended Healthcare Professionals Coalition (a coalition of 11 national professional health and social organizations) calling on governments to allow regulated health professionals to remain open during future pandemic closures, such as during the expected second wave of COVID-19. This critical advocacy is being undertaken collectively with other professions to ensure a strong and unified voice on this issue with governments at all levels.
- The CPA participated in the recent study of the Canadian response to the outbreak of the coronavirus undertaken by the House of Commons Standing Committee on Health. We submitted this policy brief to the committee, outlining the core recommendations from the CPA on how to strengthen the health system in response to COVID-19. Learn More