Core Competency Courses
Sport Physiotherapy Canada developed its own structured education pathway to assist individuals wishing to pursue a career working in sport and to proceed through SPC’s Credential Program.
Course registrations are below. Please review SPC Prerequisites when registering to ensure you are meeting the course level criteria.
Sport Physiotherapy Canada (SPC) developed its own structured education pathway to assist individuals wishing to pursue a career working in sport and to proceed through SPC’s Credential Program. The pathway, comprised of two entirely virtual Courses titled Fundamentals and Advanced Core Competency Courses, aims to promote standardized, evidence-informed and accessible education relating to the field of Sports Therapy. Knowledge and skill gained from each Course will allow practitioners to work confidently and effectively with athletes both clinically and on the field at regional, national and international levels in either amateur or professional sport.
The Fundamentals and Advanced Core Competency Courses are designed to be completed sequentially to also help interested candidates prepare to challenge SPC’s Written and Oral Practical Exams to become a SPC Certificate and then SPC Diploma holder.
Each course offers a variety of didactic and interactive online sessions (IOS), delivered by experts from across Canada, and may be completed from anywhere, anytime over the course of a predefined period. The virtual format will allow flexibility to accommodate various schedules and time zones, while permitting full time work; registrants may complete modules at their own pace from the comfort of their home, work or on the road traveling with athletes or athletic teams!
The following tables outline preliminary schedules:
FUNDAMENTALS COURSE | CERTIFICATE LEVEL
Interactive Online Sessions will begin in September of every year
Unit 1: Introduction to Sport Physiotherapy | Guylaine Boutin, Pht, Dip Sport PT, RISPT
Unit 2: Emergency Care | Christian Seguin, BScPT, Dip Sport PT, CGIMS, Sport Physiotherapist; Susie Renaud, M.Sc. BScPT, Dip. Sport PT. RISPT, Physiothérapeute/Physiotherapist
Unit 3: Concussion | Kathryn Schneider, PT, PhD, Dip Manip PT, Clinical Specialist Musculoskeletal Physiotherapy; Pierre Fremont, MD, PhD, FCFP (SEM)
Unit 4: Introduction to Taping, Wrapping and Strapping | Genevieve Renaud, BSc.PT, MClSc.PT, Dip. Sport PT, RISPT, FCAMPT; Philippe Maheu, Sport Physiotherapist/Physiotherapeute Sportif, MClSc (Manip Ther), BSc PT, FCAMPT, CGIMS, Dip. Sport Physio, RISPT
Unit 5: Equipment and Protective Gear | Laura Lundquist, PT FCAMPT, Dip Sport PT, RISPT; Shannon Estabrooks, Physiotherapist (PT), Dip Sport PT, RISPT
Unit 6: Functional Return to Sport | Scott Fraser, Sports Physiotherapist, BScPT, Dip Sport PT, RISPT; Ryan Leaver, DPT, Dip Sport PT, SCS
Unit 7: Sport Event Massage | Remo Bucci, RMT, CSMTA (SF), Lead Sport Therapy CSIO on behalf of Canadian Sport Massage Therapy Association (CSMTA)
Unit 8: Parasport | Nancy Botting, Physiotherapist, BPHE, BScPT, Dip. Sport PT; Sport Scientist Canada (SSC)
ADVANCED COURSE | DIPLOMA LEVEL
Interactive Online Sessions will begin in September of every year
Unit 1: Advanced Topics in Sport Physiotherapy | Guylaine Boutin, Pht, Dip Sport PT, RISPT
Unit 2: Emergency Care II | Christian Seguin, BScPT, Dip Sport PT, CGIMS, Sport Physiotherapist; Susie Renaud, M.Sc. BScPT, Dip. Sport PT. RISPT, Physiothérapeute/Physiotherapist
Unit 3: Advanced Taping, Wrapping and Strapping | Genevieve Renaud, BSc.PT, MClSc.PT, Dip. Sport PT, RISPT, FCAMPT; Philippe Maheu, Sport Physiotherapist/Physiotherapeute Sportif, MClSc (Manip Ther), BSc PT, FCAMPT, CGIMS, Dip. Sport Physio, RISPT
Unit 4: Sport Orthopedics and Clinical Reasoning | Amanda Joaquim, PT, FCAMPT, SPD, MSc.PT, MClSc, BSc Hons. RISPT; Meghan Buttle, Senior Physiotherapist CSIO, FCAMPT, Dip Sport PT
Unit 5: Applied Exercise Science | Doug Stacey, Sports Physiotherapist, Dip Sport PT; Jovana Smoljanic, Sports Physiotherapist, Dip Sport PT, Exercise Physiologist
Unit 6: Performance Nutrition and Rehabilitation | Ricky Ng, Registered Dietitian, RD-CSSD, IOC Diploma in Sports Nutrition (IOC-D), ISAK-1, Performance Nutrition Director Las Vegas Raiders
Unit 7: Athlete Mental Wellness and Performance | Leah Ferguson, Ph.D, Associate Professor (Kinesiology) USask, Mental Performance Consultant (MPC)
Unit 8: Clean Sport | Canadian Centre for Ethics in Sport (CCES) – True Clean Sport Module
Units correspond to the Interactive Online Sessions (IOS) with instructors for each Unit. The remaining course material may be completed at the participant’s own pace, outside of the indicated timeline. Exact IOS dates and times, as well as Unit order, will be confirmed in the Course Syllabus and are subject to change.
Online via ELearning Platform
EARLY BIRD REGISTRATION
Opens the first Monday of June until the last Monday of August (June 5th, 2023 to August 28th, 2023)
- SPC Members: $1645 (+tax) CAD
- Non Members: $1945 (+tax) CAD
Continues the last Tuesday of August until the Oral Practical registration deadline (August 29th, 2023 to February 19th, 2023)
- SPC Members: $1695 (+tax) CAD
- Non Members: $1995 (+tax) CAD
- FUNDAMENTALS Registration Opens June 5th, 2023
- ADVANCED Registration Opens June 5th, 2023
Please allow 3 to 5 business days until you are enrolled in the virtual course.
When filling the form through the registration link, ensure you are using the email address attached to your CPA membership to have the member discount automatically apply. If it is still not appearing, please contact email@example.com. Please check your spam folder if you do not receive a receipt.
- ALL are welcome to enroll (SPC Members and Non-members)
- Minimum requirements for on-field hours as well as mentorship hours are NOT required to enroll in core courses
- Minimum requirements necessary for all SPC credential program/exam applications
- Current First Responder certification is NOT required to enroll in core courses but is recommended
- Must be a SPC Certificate holder, Diploma candidate, Diploma holder or have taken the Fundamentals course in order to enroll in the Advanced Course
- Enrollment in both Fundamentals and Advanced courses simultaneously is NOT permitted at this time*
*Exceptions may be made for approved SPC mentors, examiners and Diploma holders in good standing with up to date maintenance of credentials
Cancellations received 2 weeks prior to the first Monday of September will receive a full refund minus a $250 administrative fee. Any cancellations received within 2 weeks of the the first Monday of September will not receive a refund. Deferrals will be possible and accepted for an additional $50 administration fee – requests must be received no later than the first Monday of September.
- How often will the Core Courses run?
Course registration will be open from June until February annually; with the interactive online sessions (IOS) beginning in September, ahead of SPC’s Written and Oral Practical examinations, respectively.
- If you can complete course material from ‘anywhere, anytime’ during the predefined period, why are there specific dates/times associated with each Unit?
Dates correspond to the IOS that will be hosted and moderated by instructors for each Unit. The remaining course material may be completed at the participant’s own pace, outside of the indicated timeline. IOS details will be communicated to participants closer to September.
- Are mentorship hours required to enroll in Core Competency Courses?
No. Mentorship hours will be mandatory to apply for the Oral Practical exams starting in 2023. Changes to minimum requirements, along with updated resources (including mentorship logbooks, objectives and references etc.) will be shared upon application.
- Are current SPC First Responder (SFR) certifications required to enroll in Core Competency Courses?
No. SFR training is recommended but NOT required for course enrollment. However, current SFR certification is mandatory to apply to challenge both Certificate & Diploma designations.
- Are minimum ‘on-field’ hours required to enroll in Core Competency Courses?
No. Minimum on-field hours are NOT required for Course enrollment. However, minimum on-field hours are required to apply to challenge both Certificate and Diploma designations.
- Is completion of Core Courses mandatory prior to SPC’s written credential exam?
No. Though review of course materials may be advantageous to those preparing to challenge the written portion of the credential program examinations, candidates may complete course material at their own pace during the one-year access period. Course enrollment and completion will be mandatory at or before the Oral Practical exam before corresponding designations (Certificate or Diploma) will be granted.
- Is Core Course completion mandatory to obtain SPC designations?
Yes. Effective spring 2023, credential program candidates will be required to present a valid Core Course certificate of completion at or before the Oral Practical examination before SPC designations will be granted for the given credential.
- Is there a maximum allowable time between Course registration and completion of the Written Exam for the respective SPC credential (Certificate or Diploma)?
Yes – 3 years, in keeping with SPC Maintenance of Credentials (MoC).
- Are Diploma candidates required to enroll in and complete the Fundamentals Course if they attained their Certificate prior to 2023?
No. Diploma candidates will NOT have to complete the Fundamentals Course if they were Certificate holders prior to 2023. As of fall 2022, registration into the Advanced course will be mandatory ahead of challenging the Diploma examinations.
- Are members who have successfully completed the written examination but have yet to challenge the Oral Practical examination for a given credential still required to enroll in and complete the Core Competency Course for that designation?
Yes. Credential program candidates who have yet to successfully complete both written and Oral Practical examinations for a given credential will be required to enroll in and complete the Fundamentals or Advanced Core Competency Course before they will be able to obtain the Certificate or Diploma designations, respectively.
- How long would a unit take to complete?
Here are some course unit estimates, please note that everyone’s personal experience could vary:
– 1 to 4 hours of online course material
– 1 to 2 hour interactive sessions
– Clean Sport and Parasport also have external modules, which could add an additional 1 to 3 hours for those units
- Can I extend access to the course?
Registration includes 6 months to complete the course; however, if you would like to extend access to complete the course or simply want access to the resources, an extension can be provided at:
– $100 (+tax) for an additional 6 months
– $150 (+tax) for an additional 12 months
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire for an extension.
Become a memberLogin
Become a memberLogin
Contact us for more information on this division.Email us Opens in a new window