Indigenous Health Resources
- Cross Canada Checkup – Session 6 – Ethics, Equity, and COVID-19: Considerations for Physiotherapy (April 14)
- Cross Canada Checkup – Session 9 – Impact of COVID-19 on Providing Physiotherapy Services to Northern Manitoba First Nations Communities (May 5)
- Aboriginal Cultural Safety: How to be an Ally – Video (2019)
- Indigenous Ally Toolkit (2019)
- Implications of the Truth and Reconciliation for Physiotherapy in Canada – Webinar (2017)
- Community based rehabilitation in Canada – Why not? Monthly Communications July (2014)
- Canadian Physiotherapy Association Indigenous Student Award
- University of Alberta Indigenous Graduate Award
Canadian Physiotherapy Association/Branch Articles
- Physiotherapy Practice Magazine, Indigenous Health Issue. Vol. 9 No. 5 (2019).
- Grona, S., Oosman, S. & Bath, B. Team, technology, and two-eyed seeing: Bridging health care access gaps in a remote Indigenous community. Canadian Physiotherapy Association. Physiotherapy Practice Jul./Aug. 2018 8(4): 17-19.
- Gasparelli, K. & Nixon, S. Cultural safety: a key component of professionalism in PT. PT Practice. March/April issue. Vol. 8 No. 2. p. 34-35. (2018).
- Gasparelli, K & VanEvery, A. Physiotherapy in Indigenous Communities. PT Practice. March/April issue. Vol. 7 No.2. p. 21-23. (2017)
- Gasparelli, K., Crowley, H., Fricke, M., McKenzie, B., Oosman, S., & Nixon, S. Mobilizing reconciliation: implications of the truth and reconciliation commission report for physiotherapy in Canada. Physiotherapy Canada. 2016; 68(3):211-212.
- Physiotherapy Alberta College & Association. Member Spotlight: Working with Indigenous populations. (2016)
- Gruenig, S. Aboriginal Curriculum and Admissions in Physiotherapy Schools in Canada. Physiotherapy Practice. Volume 5 No. 2. (p.6-7). (2015)
- Proctor, P. & Oosman, S. Physical Therapy Students Embracing Indigenous Health Curriculum in Saskatchewan. Physiotherapy Practice. Volume 5 No. 2. (p.8-9). (2015)
- McKenzie, B. Under the Northern Lights: How I provided physiotherapy to rural communities in the Canadian territories. Physiotherapy Practice. Volume 5 No. 2. (p.12-19). (2015)
- Oleman, G. (Saa Hiil Thut). Let the Healing Begin: Healing and health using traditional medicines and rituals. Physiotherapy Practice. Volume 5 No. 2. (p.22-23). (2015)
- Harman, K. Interpretation of the experience of pain: Using a two-eyed approach to address a clinically relevant health issue. Physiotherapy Practice. Volume 5 No. 2. (p.24-27). (2015)
- Fricke, M. Ka-wachi-wa-pinaywin (Coldness in the bones): The application of a Canadian First Nations disablement framework to rheumatoid arthritis. Physiotherapy Practice. Volume 5 No. 2. (p.28-30). (2015)
- National Physiotherapy Assistant Assembly Newsletter. Kathleen Roberts. Life North of 60: Living and working as a PTA in Hay River, NWT. (2015)
- Aboriginal health in Canada: Historical, cultural and epidemiological perspectives (1995) University of Toronto Press
- First Nations, Inuit, Metis Health Core Competencies: A Curriculum framework for undergraduate medical education (2009)
- Journal: Decolonization: Indigneity, Education & Society.
- Golstein, A. (2014). Formations of United States Colonialism. Duke University Press.
- Lavallee, Barry. (2014). Teaching Medicine on Stolen Lands: Interrogating Settler Privilege in Undergraduate Medical Education. Conference Paper. Conference: International Network of Indigenous Health, Knowledge and Development and Manitoba NEAHR.
- Woolford, A., Benvenuto, & J., Hinton, A.L. (2014). Colonial Genocide in Indigenous North America. Duke University Press.
- Tuck, E & Yang, W. (2012). Decolonization is not a metaphor. Decolonization: Indigeneity, Education & Society.
- Ashcroft, B., Griffiths, G. & Tiffin, H. (2007). Post-Colonial Studies: The Key Concepts. Second Edition. Open Access.
- NIHB Changes April 2019: OT/PT Allowed to Recommend Selected MS&E
- Non-insured health benefits for First Nations and Inuit (2014). Health Canada
- CPA: Working to improve Health Care for First Nations People
- Iqualuit debates opening first beer and wine store in 40 years – CBC The Current (2014)
- Rosanna Deerchild takes you behind the headlines on Unreserved – CBC News (2014)
- Six Nations Conference Brantford Expositor (2015)
- 8 Steps Toward Addressing Indigenous Health Inequities (2015)
- Flinders University – City Hospital Care for Country Aboriginal Peoples
- Inuit Tapiriit Kanatami – National Inuit Organization in Canada
- Inuvialuit Regional Corp
- Makivik Building Nunavik: Residential Schools
- Métis National Council
- National Aboriginal Health Organization (NAHO)
- National Association of Friendship Centres
- Native Women’s Association of Canada
- Pauktuutit: Inuit Women of Canada
- Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada
- National Collaborating Center for Aboriginal Health
- Australian Physiotherapy Association (APA)
- Canadian Occupational Therapy Association (CAOT)
- Canadian Physiotherapy Association (CPA) – Access to Physiotherapy for Aboriginal Peoples
- Canadian Federation of Medical Students (CFMS)
- Canadian Medical Association (CMA)
- Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
- CBC Ontario Today – Too easy to ignore indigenous people?: Days after Rob Ford died, 9 people died in a house fire in Pikangikum First Nation. The cause is still unknown. But the contrast in the attention wasn’t lost on Ryan McMahon, host of the Red Man Laughing podcast.
- CBC Unreserved – Building an ally: Non-indigenous people share their stories of cross-cultural bridge building including David Suzuki and John Ralston Saul
- Jordan’s Principle – Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada
- Jordan’s Principle – First Nations Child and Family Caring Society of Canada
- Report of the Special Rapporteur on the rights of indigenous peoples, James Anaya (2014)
- Canada’s most vulnerable: Improving health care for First Nations, Inuit, and Métis seniors. Health Council of Canada (2013)
- Understanding Chronic Disease and the role for traditional approaches in Aboriginal communities. Earle, L. (2013)
- Empathy, dignity and respect: Creating cultural safety for Aboriginal people in urban health care. Health Council of Canada (2012)
- Understanding and improving aboriginal maternal and child health in Canada: Conversations about promising practices across Canada. Health Council of Canada (2011)
- The crisis of chronic diseases among aboriginal peoples: A challenge for public health, population, and social policy. Reading, J (2009)
- A demographic and socioeconomic portrait of Aboriginal populations in Canada. Indian and Northern Affairs Canada (2008)
- Structural Issues Facing the World’s Indigenous Peoples. Kishk Anaquot Health Research. Canadian Coalition for Global Health Research. (2008).
- Health Status of Canada’s First Nations, Metis and Inuit Peoples. Health Council of Canada (2005)
- Wellesley Institute: The role of racism in the health and well-being of Indigineous peoples in Canada.
- Smith Tuhiwai, Linda. (2012). Research and Indigenous Peoples: Decolonizing Methodologies. Second Edition.
- Kishk Anaquot Health Research. (2008). Collaborative Research: an “Indigenous lens” perspective. Canadian Coalition for Global Health Research.
- Wilson, Shawn. (2008). Research is Ceremony: Indigenous Research Methods.
- Kishk Anaquot Health Research. (2007). Checklist of Characteristics of Collaborative Research Relationships with Indigenous Partners. Canadian Coalition for Global Health Research.
- Madriaga-Vignudo, L. Bartlett, J., & O’Neil, J. (2006). Global Activities, Partnerships and Resources for Global Indigenous Health Research. Manitoba First Nations Centre for Aboriginal Health Research.
- Working With Aboriginal Peoples: NOSM Health Sciences Competency and Curriculum Implementation Toolkit
- Canadian Coalition for Global Health Research
- The Canadian Diabetes Association and National Aboriginal Diabetes Association react to Auditor General’s report on Aboriginal Health Services
- The Canadian Encyclopedia: Residential Schools
- Canada in the Making
- Aboriginal Cultural Safety Initiative – Anishnawbe Toronto
- Aboriginal Health Webinar (2012)
- Tanya tagak: Polaris Music Prize Winner on CBC’s The National (2014)
- Joseph Boyden on CBC’s “Going Home Star” (2014)
- Lack of funding piling up on the dreams of First Nations children (Cindy Blackstock, APTN, 2018)
- Sharing Stories of PTs Working for Aboriginal Health
- Who Me? Power, Privilege and Oppression