The Seniors’ Health Division (SHD) is the special interest group within the Canadian Physiotherapy Association (CPA) dedicated to physiotherapy practice in rehabilitative care of older adults. SHD is comprised of physiotherapists, physiotherapy students and physiotherapy support personnel from across Canada. Our members practice in a variety of settings, including acute geriatric care, geriatric rehabilitative and restorative units, long-term care settings, community-based and home care settings.
The SHD is committed to providing its members with resources and facilitating knowledge translation activities related to developing and expanding specialized clinical knowledge in older adult health and physiotherapy practice. SHD is a member of the World Congress of Physical Therapy (WCPT) subgroup, the International Association of Physical Therapists working with Older Persons (IPTOP) and we are dedicated to sharing knowledge and networking with our international colleagues.
The Seniors’ Health Division has expressed the following strategic objectives to guide our work:
- To unite CPA members who are interested in seniors’ health, independence and well-being.
- To support knowledge translation in the field of seniors’ health and physiotherapy practice.
- To promote excellence in rehabilitative care of the older adult.
- To encourage the development and publication of physiotherapy research in seniors’ health in Canada.
- To collaborate with CPA on issues of national importance related to seniors’ health.
- To support initiatives that promote healthy aging, optimize independence and quality of life of older adults in Canada
Seniors’ Health Division Vision:
Older Canadians are moving, moving more and moving better, with the help of physiotherapists.
Seniors’ Health Division Mission:
To support our members in providing excellent physiotherapy care
to optimize the independence and quality of life of older adults.
Benefits of Membership
- Networking with other physiotherapy colleagues working in seniors care across Canada
- Access to members-only resources on our website
- Educational and professional development opportunities
- Member discounts on division sponsored courses
- Advocacy for rehabilitative care needs of older adults
How to Join
You may join a Division when you join the CPA, or renew your membership, online or add one on after you join/renew by contacting one of CPA’s Member Services representatives at email@example.com or at 1-800-387-8679.