Please review the Major Games Canada (MGC) Selection Process, MGC Calls and other Games Call opportunities below.
Calls for applications to Games selections are managed by the organizing committees and will vary in length of time in advance of the specific Game.
Major Games Canada (MGC) is the key franchise holder to Major and Developmental Games in Canada and internationally. This collective brings together the Canadian Olympic Committee (COC), the Canadian Paralympic Committee (CPC), Commonwealth Games Canada, U Sports, Canadian Heritage (for the La Francophonie) and the Canada Games Council.
In consultation with SPC and its other experts’ groups (CASEM, RCCSS, CATA, CSMTA) MGC has developed an online application process called the Canadian Application Portal for all Games it governs. The application form allows SPC members to record their games experience and educational credentials. The portal is only open prior to a games call.
SPC members are electronically notified directly of all Calls for Applications. Calls for Applications are also available to members on the SPC website.
SPC members who are in the Credential Program and have maintained an Active status are eligible for Games selection (i.e. applicants must have achieved their Certificate or Diploma level and have completed the Maintenance of Credentials within the last 3 years to be eligible to apply).
Applications are submitted through the MGC application portal by the specified deadline date. Late applications cannot be considered. The applicant’s membership status and eligibility as per the selection policy are confirmed.
While the application form self populates with scoring assigned to specific fields, the forms are reviewed for accuracy and appropriateness by Sport Physiotherapy Canada’s Games Application Review Committee (comprised of 3-5 Diploma holders working independently). Application scores have typically ranged between 30 and 230 points.
When completing the online portal application, please note the following details:
- Certifications must have an invigilated exam
- All sports coverage listed must be attained after graduating with a Physiotherapy degree
- Do not include all orthopedic division levels that lead up to your current and final level
- i.e. if you have attained Level 3 you will be granted points for that level so do not list courses for Levels 1 and 2
- Do not list as courses/certifications your Physiotherapy degree, First Responder or SPC Diploma and Certificate credentials as they are the requirements for application and do not receive extra points.
Final selection is made by the Games organizers. They decide which and how many of the candidates will be offered positions on the health care team. The Games organizers are responsible for notifying the selected individuals and SPC of their decision. SPC will notify the unsuccessful applicants before announcing publicly the names of selected members.
Games organizers are responsible for all further communication with the successful candidates.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Major Games Canada (MGC), in consultation with SPC and other expert groups, has developed an online application process called the Canadian Application Portal. The applicant’s SPC member status and eligibility are then reviewed by SPC’s Games Application Review Committee. Final selection and notification is completed by the Games organizers, please see MGC SELECTION PROCESS tab above for more details.
- Winter Youth Olympic Games | Gangwon, South Korea
January 19-February 1, 2024 (TBC)
- Chief Medical Officer (1)
- Therapists (3)
For more details, the official Call for Applications: English | French
*Therapists may include physiotherapists, athletic therapist and chiropractors. Please thoroughly review language abilities required.
DEADLINE: May 19th, 2023
Late applications are not considered.
- You must be a SPC member in good standing
- Be a SPC Diploma holder (exception – SPC Certificate holders may apply for Games of La Francophonie)
- Have a current valid First Responder certification
- SPC Maintenance of Credentials are up to date
- Be eligible under the SPC “2 in 5 rule” for Games attendance (details available in SPC Games Application Guidebook)
SPC Major Games Applications – Reminders to applicants
When completing online applications, please remember:
- Do not list the following under certifications as they are assumed to be held by all applicants:
- Entry level Physiotherapy degree
- SPC Certificate and Diploma
- SPC First Responder
- Do not list the following under courses for points as they are included in other sections:
- Manual therapy courses (Levels)
- SPC First Responder
- AGMs (e.g. SPC, CPA, NSPA etc.)
- Do not include the following events for points:
- Those attended prior to receiving entry level Physiotherapy degree (e.g. University Varsity Sports coverage)
- Future events that you have been selected for but not occurred yet e.g. Canada Summer Games 2023 – list instead under notes
- Do not list National events under Provincial events if you have maxed out National event points.
- Do not list recreational sports involvement under personal competitive sports and arts. Involvement must be at the provincial level or higher.
- ‘Dedicated team therapist’ is the situation where you are the ONLY therapist/health care provider whereas ‘Team Medical Lead’ involves overseeing other Therapists and/ or health practitioners.
- Application Form (Portal)
- Tutorial on how to access the Application Portal:
- Sport Physiotherapy Canada Multisport Games Application Guidebook
Please send all questions to email@example.com
- North American Indeginous Games | Halifax, NS
July 14-23, 2023
Please email Amie Lee at firstname.lastname@example.org with your resume for your application as a sponsored therapist.
Both the National Office and the Provincial Sections will accept information from other organizations, teams and events if they require coverage at an event. Coverage information should include:
- Event name
- Dates of event
- Deadline to apply
- A link or website to apply for the role
Please submit a Games Call by emailing email@example.com with the listed coverage information and titled “Games Call Submission”.
SPC will post all coverage opportunities for members to see and respond to. Open opportunities will also be sent out in our newsletters at the end of the month.
Become a memberLogin
Become a memberLogin
Contact us for more information on this division.Email us Opens in a new window