Becoming a Physiotherapist

Fifteen universities offer a professional Master’s degree in physiotherapy in Canada – ten in English; five in French.

Program graduates are eligible to write the national Physiotherapy Competency Examination (PCE) which is a requirement in most provinces to register and work as a physiotherapist.

Learn more about the Physiotherapy Competency Examination (PCE)

Becoming a Physiotherapist Assistant (PTA)

Physiotherapist assistants in Canada work under the direction of a licensed physiotherapist in the provision of physiotherapy services. They receive their education in programs at a technical or community college, or a university. The programs may carry different titles including:

  • Physiotherapy Assistant/Occupational Therapy Assistant Program
  • Rehabilitation Assistant Program
  • Therapist Assistant Program
  • Rehabilitation Therapy Assistant Program

List of PTA programs

Essential Competency Profile

The physiotherapy competency profiles describe the essential knowledge, skills and attitudes required by entry-to-practice physiotherapists and physiotherapist assistants throughout their career in Canada.

NPAG Essential Competency Profile for Physiotherapists in Canada (2017)

Download the Profile

ECP for Physiotherapist Assistants

Download the ECP for PTAs